About Me

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be" (quote from Douglas Adams). My name is Andrea. I was born in Belgium and live in Brussels. My passion for dollhouses emerged in my early twenties when I discovered a shop in downtown Brussels where they sold magnificent miniature mansions and furniture and decided that, one day, I would have my own dollhouse. Meanwhile, I had a life. When, in 2015, I visited Windsor and Queen Mary’s dollhouse, I decided it was time to get started with my own. After lots of brainstorming on how/where to start, I went for a dollhouse kit: the Malibu beach house. this blog is about the progress on the house and some tips on how I built and decorated the house.

Sunday 5 April 2020

Confinment times

Hello everyone,

Like most people the world over, we are in confinment. I am one of the lucky ones: I am well, have a garden, and a hobby that I can do at home. My thoughts go to all those who are not so lucky and suffer a great deal from this situation.
But there are two sides to a coin: scientits have already noticed a positive impact on the environment: less air pollution, less noise; animals are the great winners of this crisis, oblivious to the ordeal of the human race. Nature has a way of fighting back.

Still, life goes on, we must try and make the best of what we have.
I will not dwell further on this crisis which is all over the media 24/7 and turn to the progress of the mini-house, which is the point of this blog.

Since last year, a lot of things have happened, and I've not had much time to work on the house.
Just like everyone else, I am now confined again and teleworking on weekedays.
Still, I did make some progress, put in French doors on the ground floor, finished the kitchen, made some items from kits I had bought in Arnhem fair last year, and a working Art deco lamp.

The thing is, I sometimes find it difficult to live with myself, changing my mind about things all the time and unable to make decisions. A whole week can go by, thinking about things, and nothing gets done.
I had put together the stained glass panels which were intended for the ground floor, but while I was recovering from my operation last February, I began to muse over having the stained glass vs. French doors either on the ground floor or the first floor, and how to organise the house.
While the intention was originally to have the living room on the ground floor and dining room on the mezzanine, I realised it made more sense to have the dining area on the same floor as the kitchen. Finally one morning I made up my mind to put the French doors on the ground floor and immediately set to work on that before I could change my mind again.
Here is the result, French doors in place:




And below the finished stained glass panels, made by Arjen Spinhoven. which, as said above, will now go on the first floor (luckily, I had not yet glued them).



The kitchen is now finished. I also made faux stained glass windows for the small windows. The orange was applied too generously and is not very translucent, but it's too late, I cannot remove it now. Still I'm pleased with the result. The windows were made with the plastic transparent sheet provided with the house kit, stickers for the black lines, and special gel pens for that purpose bought at Arnhem fair.




The cook has just made some fresh bread and is now preparing breakfast.
you can't see it, but eggs and bacon are cooking on the stove.









Last but not least, my prized item, home made: the Art deco lamp. I could not find a supplier of working art deco lamps, so I made one. Very proud of the result :o)
It's made with balsa wood, recycled plastic sheet, stickers, acrylic paint, a ligth bulb, with the addition of a little art deco statue made by Neil Carter that I bought at KDF in London ages ago.








No comments:

Post a Comment