About Me

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be" (quote from Douglas Adams). My name is Andrea. I was born in Belgium and live in Brussels. My passion for dollhouses emerged in my early twenties when I discovered a shop in downtown Brussels where they sold magnificent miniature mansions and furniture and decided that, one day, I would have my own dollhouse. Meanwhile, I had a life. When, in 2015, I visited Windsor and Queen Mary’s dollhouse, I decided it was time to get started with my own. After lots of brainstorming on how/where to start, I went for a dollhouse kit: the Malibu beach house. this blog is about the progress on the house and some tips on how I built and decorated the house.

Saturday 20 February 2021

February 2021

 

I've not posted anything for some time, basically because there was not much to write about.

Today is a sunny shiny day; Spring is definitely around the corner. 

Let me tell you about Robin. For some months now a robin has been coming to visit to make a feast of the seeds I'v been laying out to help our little friends during Winter. At first, he kept his distance, perched on a nearby tree branch, watching me to ascertain whether he's in danger. I guess he's satisfied because gradually, he comes a little closer. Every day, I wish him "good morning Robin" and he tilts his head  as if to say "I heard you". This little bird makes my day, every day. We should focus on the little things that make us happy.

I'm a little stuck on the dollshouse because I need some wooden pieces that I can only get from England. I need more skirting boards to finish the ground floor and have decided that the staircase that came with dollhouse is too modern for a 1930s house. I will need to make a new one from scratch. It will need to be fitted in before I can start working on the first floor. Impatient as I am, I ordered things on internet. Bad idea. I did not realise the manufacturer is a Chinese company: so, the items took 6 weeks to arrive, poor quality and not the right size despite the measurements indicated on the site, and the delivery cost more than the items themselves. I had thrown in an order for some decorative items, which they sent separately. These got stuck at customs. After 6 weeks, I complained to the seller who promptly sent another set again. The second sending arrived after 5 days. The first sending arrived after 3 months. So now, I have 2 of the same items. The wooden bits I can use to make other things, but seriously, what was I thinking? And I've a very short memory as it's the second time I make that mistake.

Like most people on the planet, I've been teleworking for almost a year. This has turned out to be more tiring than actually going to the office, but hey, I still have a job and that counts for much. As I'm looking after my 87-year old mother, social contacts have been restricted to food shopping. No more trips to England or anywhere, no dollshouse fairs, no treasure hunting for miniature items in charity shops, junk sales and the like. To keep in touch with the miniature world, I spent my free time checking out other miniaturists' blogs. And here, I have to say a BIG THANK YOU to them, because it greatly lifted my spirits to read about their experiences and stories, checkout their tutorials and get inspiration.

Some colleagues at work had a brilliant idea: a virtual meeting to share your hobby. I will be discovering Scottish dance and aerial yoga among other things, and I have enrolled to introduce colleagues to the world of miniatures. I'm really excited, I might discover there are fellow miniaturists in my neighbourhood.

The KDF Summer show will take place online again this year, in May, but they are planning a live show in September. This means another 8 months before I can buy what I need. I started the dollshouse in 2018. I'm not even finished on the ground floor and stuck till the end of year. At this rate, it will be another 15 years before the house is finished. Never thought this would be a life-time project when I started. This promises years of fun still to come.

That's all for now folks, take care of yourselves, and get that vaccine so we can all go back to normal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment