About Me

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be" (quote from Douglas Adams). My name is Andrea. I was born in Belgium and live in Brussels. My passion for dollhouses emerged in my early twenties when I discovered a shop in downtown Brussels where they sold magnificent miniature mansions and furniture and decided that, one day, I would have my own dollhouse. Meanwhile, I had a life. When, in 2015, I visited Windsor and Queen Mary’s dollhouse, I decided it was time to get started with my own. After lots of brainstorming on how/where to start, I went for a dollhouse kit: the Malibu beach house. this blog is about the progress on the house and some tips on how I built and decorated the house.

Saturday 8 December 2018

La maison de poupee bruxelloise


Hello readers,

I've made no progress on the house lately, as I was busy with lots of other things: spending time with my mother, visiting exhibitions, making Christmas cards (another one of my hobbys), daydreaming about the mini house (a lot of that....) and the usual household chores, but you don't want to hear about that.

Exhibitions of miniatures in Brussels are rare enough to give them special attention. « Mini Life » was held at the Porte de Hal in Brussels. It featured old miniatures from the end of the 19th century, beginning of the 20th century.

La Maison de Poupée bruxelloise

The main attraction was « The Brussels dollhouse », labelled La maison de poupée bruxelloise. It was made around 1900 by Jules Charlier, a Belgian engineer and electrician from Brussels. Although it was based on his own house, it’s not an exact copy. While the real house had 3 floors, the miniature only has 2. The real house was located on rue Froissart in Etterbeek, no. 54 (later changed to no. 70 in 1911 due to the expansion of the area). It was demolished in the 1990s and no records have been kept other than a photograph of the facade. According to the family, the miniature took around 10 years to make. Jules Charlier never married and his sister, Jeanne Charlier, gave the dollhouse to her sister-in-law, Marthe Verhas, who then donated it to the Musée des Beaux-Arts in 1941. No-one knows if the inside of the house was copied from the real house, but it does show the style of furniture common in middle-class houses of the early 19th century.
The miniature house opens on both sides













The couryard at the back of the house


More information on the  Brussels dollhsouse and exhibition details can be found in the exhibition brochure (€7.00 – lots of photos) available here: http://www.kmkg-mrah.be/fr/la-maison-de-poup%C3%A9e-bruxelloise.

More photos of the exhibition to come soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment