About Me

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be" (quote from Douglas Adams). My name is Andrea. I was born in Belgium and live in Brussels. My passion for dollhouses emerged in my early twenties when I discovered a shop in downtown Brussels where they sold magnificent miniature mansions and furniture and decided that, one day, I would have my own dollhouse. Meanwhile, I had a life. When, in 2015, I visited Windsor and Queen Mary’s dollhouse, I decided it was time to get started with my own. After lots of brainstorming on how/where to start, I went for a dollhouse kit: the Malibu beach house. this blog is about the progress on the house and some tips on how I built and decorated the house.

Sunday 28 October 2018


Trial and error.....
One piece of advice before you start anything: make templates and put everything together without gluing anything until you are satisfied with the result. Then sleep on it, in case a better idea comes to mind overnight.

A little mistake I've made is gluing the door frame on the kitchen side before putting the door in on the hall side. So, it's not quite aligned - fortunately it does not show.

As I'm already sorry for not having put real tiles in the kitchen, I decided to put real ones in the hallway. I found some nice mosaic tiles from Rayher with sort of a marble effect which makes it look more interesting than just pain black & white. Not sure that kind of tiles existed in the thirties, but it doesn't really matter, I'm not looking to make the house true to the times, but rather to give it an interesting look.

Tiling: easy job, thought I. Well I've had to think again. From wall to wall, it's 13 cms while the tiles measure 2x2 cm. As any child will tell you 13/2=6.5, which means half a tile at one end. I've ruined quite a few trying to cut them. No way am I buying more tools. This isn't working for me and won't like the look of it; I've had to think of a way to circumvent this problem: a border.

Also, learning from my mistake with the floorboards (see previous post: not quite straight towards the end), I set out to align the tiles on the table first. Aha, better make a template to ensure proper alignment throughout....




 
 Meanwhile, I've also realised that, before gluing the skirting boards along the walls of the living room, I first need to finnish the fire surround, otherwise the latter will need some fine cutting to accomodate the skirting board. Good job I did not have time to glue the skirting boards last week, which gave me time to think. I really must learn not to rush things (patience is not one my strong points). The fact is, I already spend so much time thinking about things, that the day is gone by the time I am ready to actually do something.

So today, refusing to think too much about, I started with gluing some tiles around the chimney. Fortunately, the glue does not set in quickly and I was able to adjust them. I'm not too keen on grouting them, but then I may need to if I want to give them a "finished" look. Why on earth did they make the chimney base 2 cm high! Then again, it allows for steps as stepped tiled surrounds were typical in the thirties, often a creamy/beigy colour. I did not have cream tiles so I settled for black (large tiles) and grey (small ties). Here's the progress on the chimney so far:

 




It will look better when finished, I hope..... Then again, I am no professional photographer :o)



 


No comments:

Post a Comment